I don’t know about you, but my breakfast throughout the week must be quick and easy. I need to be able to meal prep it the day or even the weekend before because I don’t have any spare time in the morning. Or I should rather say, I prefer doing other things during those precious first couple of hours like meditating, doing yoga… That’s probably why I so quickly fell in love with overnight oats after hearing of them for the first time when I became vegan. Today I want to share with you the basic recipe I always use. As normal as overnight oats are for me as often get I asked the question from friends, what they were. The following recipe is the basis for every breakfast creation. I prepare the oats always in the same way. Only the toppings make this breakfast so versatile, that it never gets boring.
- 1/2 a cup of oats
- 1 tbsp of flax seeds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- water / plant-based milk (to reach the desired consistency)
My favourite toppings:
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of (frozen) berries
- 3-4 walnuts
- Add the oats, flax seeds, cinnamon and water / plant-based milk into a bowl and mix the ingredients.
- Add the banana & berries into the bowl (if you want to heat them up as well, which I would reccomend; if you prefer to eat them cold, just put them in later).
- Put the microwave save bowl into the microwave for up to 2 – 3 minutes (depends on your microwave). The oats should form a chewy consistency.
- Take the bowl out (be careful, it can be very hot!)
- Add the walnuts on top.
Obviously, you can play with the toppings as much as you like. Add any kind of fruit, nuts, seeds or even veggies (like zucchini or carrots) to your oatmeal. If you have more time on the weekends, cook your oatmeal in a pot and you’ll reach another consistency all together (you need more water if you cook it on the stove top).
I honestly eat oatmeal at all times of the day. I love it as breakfast just as much as I love it as dessert. It never gets boring and it’s so easy and quick to make, that I make it, even when I am in no mood to cook anything else. Literally the best food for lazy days!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Share a picture of your oatmeal creation with me on Instagram! I’d love to see them!
Lot’s of love to you all!